Table of Contents
- 1 What Can Hamsters Eat?
- 2 12 Healthy and Nutritious Hamster Feeds
- 2.1 F.M.Brown’s Tropical Carnival Natural Hamster-Gerbil Food, 2-Pound Package
- 2.2 Supreme Petfoods Tiny Friends Farm Hazel Hamster Tasty Mix (2 Pounds)
- 2.3 All Natural Organic Gerbil & Hamster Food by Eco Animal Pet Products
- 2.4 Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Hamster Food, 5-Pound
- 2.5 Henry’s Healthy Hamster Diet, All Natural, 8 oz
- 2.6 Carefresh Complete Menu Hamster & Gerbil Food 2lbs
- 2.7 F.M. Brown’s Tropical Carnival Hamster/Gerbil, 2-Pound
- 2.8 Vitakraft Hamster Strawberry Drops, 5.3-Ounce Pouch
- 2.9 SUNSEED COMPANY 36070 1 Piece Vita Prime Dwarf Hamster Formula Food Treat, 2 lb
- 2.10 Vitakraft VitaSmart Hamster Food – High Diversity Formula, 2 lb.
- 2.11 Kaytee Fiesta Blueberry Flavor Yogurt Dipped Treats for Hamster, Gerbil, Rat and Mouse
- 2.12 Hartz Bonanza 4-Pound Gourmet Diet Supply, Hamster and Gerbil
These queries or concern usually comes to question, typically for beginners or for people who has just started owning or petting a hamster. Basically, hamsters are not that choosy when it comes to dietary needs. On the wild, they feed on fruits and vegetables where we can also apply it under our care. We can also choose different natural and pet-safe feeds if we want as their dietary tolerance are not that delicate. In this guide, we would answer some of the common and specific questions relating to what can hamsters eat. This would bring you some enlightenment, knowledge and clarifications about your concerns and the things that your hamster needs.
Here are some of the best choice of what can hamster eat:
|First Choice||F.M.Brown’s Tropical Carnival Natural Hamster-Gerbil Food||$||4.7/5|
|Second Choice||All Natural Organic Gerbil & Hamster Food by Eco Animal Pet Products||$||5/5|
|Third Choice||Henry’s Healthy Hamster Diet, All Natural, 8 oz||$||4.7/5|
|Fourth Choice||F.M. Brown’s Tropical Carnival Hamster/Gerbil||$||4/5|
What Can Hamsters Eat?
We have arrange a series of common question and following them with an appropriate answer based on the type of food:
Can hamsters eat bananas?
- Highly yes! The banana holds the same effect to a hamster like with us human. It is rich in fiber that aids in digestion and fully packed with vitamin C and potassium.
Can hamsters eat grapes?
- Fortunately, yes! Grapes are included in a wide list of fruit and vegetable varieties where their stomach could fully digest. It also gives tons of vitamins C. The antioxidants however, is not that effective for them like with us human and grapes contains some amount of citrus where you do not want them to eat too much of this.
Can hamsters eat cheese?
- Sure thing! But you better make sure that this is not their typical day to day diet. You can feed them cheese once or twice a week as a treat but not as the main source of nutrients as it does not have that much.
Can hamsters eat carrots?
- Some use carrots as their main dietary food for hamsters. The vegetable is rich in vitamins and minerals as well as maintaining the sharpness and shortness of your little pet’s teeth.
Can hamsters eat strawberries?
- Yes. This fruit still belongs to the long list of fruits your hamster should not have any problems with. It is also a tasty treat for them but it is still nice to rotate your dietary food plan to give them a mix of the necessary nutrients they need.
Can hamsters eat celery?
- Like with banana, this type of food greatly supports digestion as it is also rich in fiber. Celery however can come a bit tasteless so they might have a tendency to be bored with it after they are done with chewing and biting the crunchiness out of it.
Can hamsters eat watermelon?
- Yes but the main problem with watermelon is the water content this fruit brings can easily fill up your pet and will avoid eating feeds that you have included in their diet plan. It is advised to keep this to a minimum so that they won’t avoid eating feeds that is boosted and filled with the right amount of nutrients their body needs.
Can hamsters eat tomatoes?
- Of course but keep in mind that this is a rare treats used for hamsters. You might want to feed them this fruit to a minimum, not more than or just at least half a tease spoon. Also, most hamsters would be very reluctant to eat this.
Can hamsters eat oranges?
- Sadly, no. You should avoid feeding your hamster with high citrus content fruits such as orange, lemon, lime and more. It will give their digestive tract a hard time and would often result to distress and diarrhea.
Can hamsters eat apples?
- Yes as long as it is in tolerable amount. Hamsters love apples but too much would cause mouth sores and digestive tract problems due to its acidity. The acidity of the apple is not that high compared to citrus fruits but a large consumption could lead to the same result so feed it to them just once in a while.
There are a wide variety of fruits and vegetables that your hamster can tolerate but it is required for you to avoid feeding them any high acid content food that belongs to citrus fruits. You would also want to use these fruits and vegetables as a treat and not as a main source of dietary nutrients. Fruits and vegetables can be quite costly and could easily add some stress to your expenses. Not only that they cost much compared to feeds, but feeds are more nutritious as it fully packed with specifically chosen vitamins, nutrients and minerals that your hamster needs.
To give you more details about what food your hamster can eat, here is a short video guide:
It is best for you to know these foods because a hamster’s digestive mechanism is a delicate and could be easily irritated by some type of food.
12 Healthy and Nutritious Hamster Feeds
This is FM Brown’s Tropical Gerbil and Hamster food. As you can see, the packaging and the weight of the hamster feeds is very cheap and affordable. This could save you a lot than feeding them with fruits and vegetables every meal a day for a long period of time. The feed is also packed with nutrients from natural fruits, veggies, seeds and nuts. It is highly tasty and nutritious for both gerbils and hamsters. It also uses natural preservatives which makes it last longer and highly safe for your furry little pets.
Next is a supreme food for hamster, made and brought to you by Tiny Friends Farm. The feeds are made from natural ingredients and do not contain any sugar. It encourages your pet’s food behavior. This type of feed strengthens teeth and sharpening them, basically it promotes dental wearing. The food content has different shapes, colors and sizes. Making it like that naturally attracts your pet and would have you less troubles in ignoring them as it is guaranteed to be liked by most hamsters. This can also be used for gerbils.
This is an all-natural, organic feeds for hamster and gerbil from Eco Animal Pet Products. It does not contain any food additives, preservatives and other food fillers. For a reasonable price, this will provide your pet with all the nutrients and vitamins they need from natural mix of food and ingredients. It offers a variety of food, taste and texture in the mix. This greatly attracts your pet’s instinctive side as they are scavengers by nature. In addition, the ingredients are grown by farmers to a human standards, meaning, it is produced with quality the same with humans.
Kaytee brings you their own mixture of a healthy and forty diets. The mixture was made from fresh natural ingredients, combination of fruit, vegetable, seed and hay. It is packed with Omega-3 and probiotics, healthy for the heart and circulatory system of your hamster. This hamster feeds can also be used and consumed by gerbils. It comes in 3 different sizes, 3 pound, 5 pound and 25 pound pack. All are in affordable and reasonable price. This is much cheaper compared to a whole diet of fruit and veggies and much healthier.
This is Henry’s Healthy Master Food. It uses all-natural ingredients for a healthy hamster diet. The feeds come in an 8 oz. pack, fortified with vitamins and minerals. It is guaranteed to provide 100% complete nourishment for your pet. The mixture does not include any preservatives, additive colors and artificial flavors. The savory and tastefulness of the feed comes from baking a combination of grains, wheat, vegetables, nuts and eggs. It does not contain any fruit and sugars that add sweetness.
Carefresh also has its very own mixture of a good and healthy gerbil and hamster food. It comes in a 2 pound packaging were it contains all the nutritional value food for gerbils and hamsters. This furry little pet food is one of the cheap and affordable feeds you can avail with fortified nutrition in close comparison with expensive ones. It was made in mixture of seeds and powerful antioxidants. One idea of the food mixture is to promote a foraging behavior of hamsters or gerbils.
Again, from FM Brown, this is the tropical carnival gerbil and hamster feed. The feed offers 2 types of packaging, a 2 pound and a 20 pound pack. The 2 pound pack can last from days to weeks depending on your pet’s appetite and the 20 pound pack can last for months. It is boosted with highly enhanced vitamins and nutrients for your pet’s daily diet. The mixture promotes a fun and exciting goodies where it makes it a food and a treat, all in one pack.
This is a fruity treat or feed for hamster as well as gerbil. It is Vitakraft’s Strawberry Drops. It comes in a 5.3 oz. packaging. This is ideally used as a treat for rewarding your furry little friend. It has a sweet flavor of strawberry, rich with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. The pack is one of the cheapest treats you can get for the holiday considering that is made from fresh and delicious farm grown strawberries. This however, is not an ideal meal to meal from day to day diet of your hamster.
Next one is the cheap and affordable food treat specifically made for Dwarf Hamsters, brought and manufactured by Sunseed Company. It is ideally produced as a feed for Dwarf hamster but could also work well with other types of hamster as well as gerbil. It comes in a 2 pound packaging with high diversity, nutritious and healthy diet. This can be used from baby to adult dwarf hamsters. It basically covers all growth stages. It highly contains vitamin A, D and E, including calcium, perfect for your small and cute furry pet.
This is another wonderful and highly nutritious hamster food from Vitakraft. It is the VitaSmart Hamster food for all types of hamsters and gerbils. It was made from a diverse mixture of natural and fresh farm grown foods to aid in the growth and development of your hamster. It contains high level of essential fatty acids, vitamin C and vitamin E, all that secures a healthy growth and diet of a hamster. It uses resealable plastic packaging to keep the feeds fresh and crispy for your pet.
Again, from Kaytee, this is more of a treat rather than a day to day feed for hamster and gerbils, though it really does not matter being fed to a rat and mouse. This is a yogurt flavored food for rewarding your hamster once in a while. It is also good for spending time with your pet, bonding and play. This is perfect for training your hamster, giving them a treat every time they have accomplished a task.
Lastly, a bonanza treat, gourmet feed from Hartz. They also offer feeds for other types of pet such as parrot, pakareet, rabbit and guinea pig. The mixture of their dietary supply came from fresh fruit, vegetable and nut combination of banana, apple, papaya, carrots, peanuts, almonds and more. The natural mixture is fortified with vitamins and minerals, making it more nutritious and supplying your pet with healthy diet. The mixture is then dried to give it a brittle and crispy texture to keep your pet’s teeth healthy and strong.